Very much. While home, I did get to edit/post a few old stories to ff.net; yay!
However, my kids (mostly my youngest) were fussy. Despite getting them out to activities and exhibits and for bike rides daily, they were unhappy. #1 son in particular spent most of his March Break disappointed for one reason or another. (I think he missed his friends from school. I tried to call a few up to invite them over to play, but unfortunately didn't get calls back. I felt so bad for him.)
So, after a long week with the kids, I have posted the next chapter of FF II to ff.net & AO3 early in honour of Sakura's birthday this week.
Because right now, I need some love. XD
Now heading to the medicine cabinet to see if we have any acetaminophen to deal with this headache. Too many tantrums, too much ingratitude, too much whining this week. *sigh*
Someday, I will have a little vacation of my own. Until then, we plod on. XD
*years since I had a vacation: 15+*
For the curious: some of the prompts and writings from enemyoftheheir
's and my GWNI (Girls' Writing Night In)
are archived on tumblr:http://gwni.tumblr.com/
I'm checking with enemyoftheheir
to see if she wants her shorts posted, too--for now, all the prompts are there, and my stories (the answers to the prompts) are posted. ;)
Yes, this is what we do to egg each other on. XD Over the internet and across borders.
If you have suggestions for prompts, we're more than happy to add them to our lists; new challenges are always welcome. :)
Otherwise, I must leave you for now; I've been out w/ the kids all day with activities (hiking, biking, walking, playing with clay, visiting the library) for March Break, and I must get a start on supper. Have a great evening!
- Tags:gwni, writing
- Music:Kids watching "Scooby Doo"
For the record, I honestly wouldn't be sane if I didn't do things that *I* enjoy. Some examples:
This past week I:
- attended an Executive Night dinner & speaker (400+ people, decent food, awesome new people to meet, and a fantastic, inspiring speaker. And I got to chat Scottish history with someone totally out of the blue, which sealed the deal for an awesome night)
- attended my first Passion Party
! A friend of mine is a Passion Party
consultant, and at the suggestion of a friend (nikolita
), I asked if I could join a party sometime soon to get an idea of how they ran. So, you can all thank nikolita
(and my friend Candace) for introducing me to the fun that is Passion Parties, and for the resulting forthcoming scenes in "Forest Fire II
". You're welcome.
- volunteered with my son's kindergarten class. I volunteered usually 2 mornings/month (as much as I could spare, given my work schedule), and love going in to help out with different activities, hanging out with the kids, seeing how they interact. I've decided not to continue this after March Break (after this week), for a few reasons, but really enjoyed being with the kids. I had a good time. My husband even came to join me there to help out, 2 weeks ago, which was really special. I guess not many dads get to come in to volunteer. It was a fun time. The kids rushed him. XD You could see it in their eyes, how bright they got, with the, 'There's a DAD here!!!!!"-look. Kindie-swarming, gotta love it. XD
- working out. I wake up around 5-5:15am at least 3 times a week to hit the gym, and the remaining days of the week I sleep in until around 6am before going for a run. I like working out. It feels good. It also helps me manage stress, anxiety, depression (mostly on top of this one, since I work hard to avoid triggers), and my PTSD. <3 exercise. This week I started overhauling my bike so I can ride it again this summer, hopefully more actively, so I rely less on my car. I'm kind of leaning towards getting a little trailer for it so I can bring picnic gear with us for longer rides. That would cost $, though, and we don't have a whole lot of that to go around.
- I love driving and race my car at the track. Due to finances/timing (ugh, I actually paid for a track day and ended up having to cancel b/c it was right after my hubby's surgery), I wasn't able to make it out to the track last summer. We'll see if it happens this summer. I really enjoy it, and fine driving is an acquired taste and a challenging skill. I take pride in mine and in my car.
- practiced guitar. I have recently started teaching my kids a bit of guitar. They enjoy it. I enjoy it. I'm not very good at it, but I enjoy it. I'm okay with the fact I'm not good at it; music is something I play with.
- talking with friends. Especially enemyoftheheir
, who keeps me sane and is my brother-from-another-mother, but with boobs. :P Nothing is sacred in our convos, nothing.
- also relating to enemyoftheheir
, GWNI. GWNI=Girls' Writing Night In
. This started as a writing exercise for the two of us to hang out & write together, online. (Since we live in different countries and all). Basically, we both come up with a bunch of prompts, then at a designated time, we share them with each other and get to choose a prompt each, the timer goes off, and we write for 15-30 minutes. Then share with each other. Squee! Then choose another prompt, set the timer again, and write! Then 15-30 minutes later (depending on how we're doing--sometimes we'll extend the timer if we both find we're on a roll), share again. Depending on how much time we have, we'll do a few rounds of this. It's spontaneous, it's intense, it's fun, and it really gets the muse going. It's also ridiculously competitive. XD And since we know we're writing for each other, we'll hit each other's kinks hard. It's wonderful. It also gets quite silly. We may set up a tumblr for some of these stories, at some point. They're awesome fun.
- having fun with my kids. I love my kids. They're the best part of my day. It can be really trying, being a mom, but I've tried to raise my kids with my sense of humour. Sometimes I force us all outside, on our bikes; or out for a hike; or my kids will request we all sit down to play boardgames together (often during bad weather). I try to get us outside as much as possible. I love this. I love them. They are my life.
I do try to write as often as I can; I need it. I also need to live. :) Other people rely on me, too.
- go to sleep at 2am
- wake up at 7, 8, 9, 9:30, 10:17am give up b/c I can't ignore the kids' arguing any longer
- bake cookies
- make lunch
- pack snacks for road trip
- pack bags for trip
- send everyone (hubby + kids) the heck out to Toronto for the day b/c I have s* to do!
- do laundry
- shower (brush teeth in shower b/c it saves time)
- eat ??
- run errands at 4 different places across 3 cities (go-go-Gadget-Civic!)
- pout b/c I can't get the supper I wanted (*shakes fist at resto being closed on Sunday*)
- go home
- eat / do online chores
- fix bike
- do more laundry
- test bike (death-free, good enough)
- tidy toys
- look for missing toys
- pack away winter blankets
- tidy basement storage for toy storage
- fix more things
- kids + hubby arrive safely home, get the kids to bed (10:45pm at this point)
- put away groceries hubby brought home
- catch up w/ hubby on his day-trip w/ the kids (apparently #1 son got lost at the ROM today & security had to be called in to search & help retrieve him)
- sit down, drink a glass of water
Currently: 11:46pm. *Now* is officially when *my free time* starts, AKA: When I get to write. This is what being a mom + being a writer is like. During the week I have a job to go to, too.
This is why I update monthly. ;)
But I do update.
December was busy (and I'm still behind in actually writing my Christmas cards), but plenty productive with regards to writing and updates.
- Forest Fire 1.5
posted! (Itachi / Sakura)
- Tipsy 3: Forget
posted! (Madara / Sakura)
(ch 1-6, complete) posted! (Sirius / Hermione)
Also, these were cross-posted to FF.net *and* AO3 (Archive of our Own), so hopefully they're more readily available to those who'd like to read them.
Yesterday I also started posting another HP-fic:
- Joy in Small Places
(Severus / Hermione)
That one is longer (80+ pages), and still under construction but nearly done. I intend to update it monthly, if possible, as I finish writing the end. It's actually the first HP-fic I wrote; however, as I finished "Hallowcinogenics" first, I posted it over the holidays. "JISP" is far darker than my usual writing. Warnings abound.
Also in the works:
- Forest Fire II
(Itachi / Sakura / Sasuke)
- birthday story for a friend of mine (surprise!)
FF II: This one has reached 112+ pages, and is still going. It's a bit of a beast. I now have two betas helping me, though, and hopefully we'll wrangle it into something publishable by Itachi's (June 9) or Sasuke's (July 23) birthday. If you have questions, I'm happy to answer what I can!
Birthday story: Shhhhh! It's due February 2nd. I'm about a dozen pages in and *desperate* to write this one up to share with enemyoftheheir
. DAMNIT! I'm terrible at keeping secrets. :__;
Anyway, otherwise things are good! I'm excited: my car payments finish this year~! I can't wait to have almost $400 more a month to save. Hubby's trying to convince me to put it away to save up for a trip. (I hate to tell him, but if I'm putting $ away for a trip, it'll be to somewhere I can go on an adventure by my lonesome, hahahah!) I think it should go towards the mortgage, the kids' RESP, and my RRSP. I know. I'm no fun.
Oh, things with PC (Pampered Chef--side-gig) are moving along. Picked up a stone for us for pizzas--even my hubby loves it, and that's saying something. It's getting a lot of use right now. <3
I hope all is well with all of you, and I hope we get some interest in the saiunpornium
(on LJ) fic exchange for Valentines Day.
Have a great week! And if you're looking for the stories I publish, they can be found here:
- FF.NET: https://www.fanfiction.net/~moor
- AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/users/moor/works
While I no longer have my writing studio, I am still writing when I can. Losing the dedicated writing-space (Studio) really hurt my capacity, in that respect.
Hopefully I'll have a new space set up here at home, soon, and will have a proper writing schedule again. If I have a chance, I'll try and make up a table with all the different stories in progress, and what their progress is. (Planning, writing, editing, posting, complete). I have started porting my stories over from Aff.net and ff.net to ao3.org, too, to collect everything together under one 'roof', so to speak.
I miss the studio. But hubby has said he's taking time off work over the holidays to help me fix up the office here to make it into a new 'studio' for me.
He said this years ago, and promised at the beginning of the summer it would be done. It wasn't. Autumn hit, and I dragged the spare bed & extra furniture out myself, on my own, to at least get started on it. We'll see what the holidays bring.
It could mean a significant blaze in the fireplace, if I get tired of sorting everyone else's papers again.